|Esri CrowdRescue Puerto Rico Infrastructure Map|
In the wake of the catastrophic hurricane that hit the Islands of Puerto Rico on September 20th, Greater Cleveland Puertorriqueños have come together and have collected and palletized 350 skids for relieve efforts for their families and our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico.
We are in immediate need of $30,000 to pay for transportation of those goods to Miami FL, for transport to Puerto Rico. Individuals from Cleveland's Puerto Rican community are traveling to San Juan this week to do advance work on logistics on the Island in preparation for receipt and distribution once goods arrive.
Since Thursday, 9/21/2017 Club San Lorenzo and Club Alma Yaucana have collaborated to receive material donation at Club San Lorenzo. Volunteers and Club Members have worked tirelessly these past 10-days.
Contributions will continue to be received on Saturdays from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm at Club San Lorenzo, 3121 W 33rd St, Cleveland, OH 44109. Volunteers are needed during these times. Please call Club San Lorenzo at 216-651-0535 to sign-up to help with deliveries as well as other volunteer opportunities as they develop. Volunteers are also needed from 7:00 am - 3:30 pm at the IX-Center, where the goods are being palletized and warehoused. No donations are being accepted for drop-off at the IX-Center.
- Coordination and transport of donations to Puerto Rico.
- Coordination of monetary contributions for relieve efforts in Puerto Rico.
- Humanitarian and medical aid for victims of the hurricane.
- Support for families in Greater Cleveland for crisis intervention and other social services.
- Support for families from Puerto Rico anticipated to arrive in Cleveland escaping the devastating conditions of the Islands.
- The Jones Act, the obscure 1920 shipping regulation strangling Puerto Rico, explained Protectionism and exploitation at its worst, VOX, 9.28.2017
- Is the Jones Act Waiver All Politics?, The Atlantic, 9.28.2017
Call for the use of the Ohio National Guard, Ohio State Troopers...
See: The Role of the National Guard in National Defense and Homeland Security
- New York, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo. More than 600 New York National Guard Soldiers and Airmen were on State Active Duty or federal orders as of September 29, supporting response and recovery efforts in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Efforts in the Caribbean were matched by efforts back in New York to collect and ship donations to assist Puerto Rico. Collection sites at four National Guard armories September 24. Mobilized some 100 personnel, including a transportation platoon and members of the New York Guard State Defense Force. These troops will augment state resources to prepare donations for shipment to Puerto Rico. The first shipment of relief supplies managed by the National Guard departs October 2.
- New Jersey, Governor Chris Christie. Sending 1,100 emergency responders to Puerto Rico for six-weeks to aid in recovery efforts. Two National Guard armories will open Monday as donation centers.
- North Carolina, Governor Roy Cooper. Authorized 200 NC Guard engineers to go to PR. Troops left Fort Bragg Friday with supplies. Engineers and troops prepared to be there until the end of October.
- Florida, Governor Rick Scott.
- Maryland, Governor Larry Hogan.
- Pennsylvania, Governor Tom Wolf.
- Massachusetts, Governor Charlie Baker.
- Iowa, Governor Kim Reynolds.
Cleveland - Local impact, responses and resources
Club San Lorenzo, (216) 651-0535, W 33rd St, Cleveland, OH 44109
Club Alma Yaucana, (216) 241-764, W 25th St Cleveland, Ohio 44113
The Spanish American Committee: Multi-servives, provides five core programs that help clients with family support and childcare services, financial literacy education and training, housing education and guidance, employment training and services, and adult education opportunities such as English as a Second Language (ESL) classes and the only Spanish-language GED program in Ohio.
Red Cross Safe and Well.
The Red Cross Safe and Well website - Allows people to list their own status and allows friends and family to search for messages from their loved ones.
English - www.redcross.org/safeandwell
Spanish - https://safeandwell-es.communityos.org/zf/safe/add
- NEO Volunteers Heading to Puerto Rico Following Maria, IdeaStream, 9.25.2017
- Harold Cancel Rosa.
- Father of Clevelander and Executive Director of Esperanza Inc., Victor Ruiz.
- Cleveland's Hispanic Community, Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.
- Local Promotion of Hispanic/Latino Culture and Community.
* La Villa Hispana Initiative - La Villa Hispana Action Plan approved by Cleveland City Planning Commission. 9.11.17 (approved 10.21.2016)
* We Plan CLE tour highlights challenges and aspirations for La Villa Hispana on Cleveland's West Side, cleveland.com, 7.27.2017
* La Placita Cleveland open-air market looks to ignite Latin food, business boom in Clark-Fulton neighborhood, cleveland.com 6.7.2017
* La Villa Hispana Action Plan unveiled at Community Engagement Town Hall, Plain Press, 2.19.2017
* La Villa Hispana: an economic and cultural Latino hub, freshwatercleveland.com, 9.29.2016